This was a business-type personal Japanese language word processor from Fujitsu, which was announced in November 1986. The OASYS 30AF was positioned as a personal version of Fujitsu's OASYS 100 Series of business word processors. It was equipped with capabilities rivaling the best machines, and also featured numerous new functions and design innovations. This machine had the following features:
(1) It exhibited the new design for Japanese word processing
This machine was the all-in-one type, equipped with a 3.5-inch floppy disk and printer, and a storable keyboard, so it could be carried by hand (i.e. it was "transportable"). It had a compact space-saving design with a depth of 15cm.
(2) It employed the industry's first large flat display
-40 characters x 21 lines (including 2 message lines)
-It was equipped with a backlight to enable clear reading even at dark locations.
(3) Prior to the start of commercial services for personal computer communications, this was the first Japanese word processor to provide personal computer communications capability. A type with built-in modem was also available.
(4) It was equipped with editing functions rivaling high-level business machines.
(5) It provided a wealth of printing capabilities, and was equipped with a variety of characters styles and fonts.
-Functions for dual-page printing, center-open printing, and automatic printing of postcard addresses
-Printing of B4 documents with built-in printer
-Automatic high-volume printing of postcards using an optional, special-purpose feeder for postcards
-Equipped with Minchotai, Gothic, Textbook font, brushstroke font and rounded letters
Later, Fujitsu announced enhanced models. The OASYS 30AFII (announced in June 1987) was equipped with two 3.5-inch floppy disk drives, and employed an easy-to-read high-contrast display with dark blue on a white background. The OASYS 30AFIII (announced in June 1988) featured an improved backlight, a 48-dot printer, and an expanded limit on document size (30 pages/document).
|Model||OASYS 30AF||OASYS 30AFII||OASYS 30AFIII|
|Announcement date||November 1986||June 1987||June 1988|
|Display||Type||Liquid crystal with EL backlight||High-contrast liquid crystal with EL backlight||High-contrast liquid crystal with high-brightness backlight (FL)|
|Number of characters displayed||840char (50char x 21lines)|
|Floppy disk||3.5inch x1||3.5inch x2|
|Printer||B4 24dot, thermal transfer, 30char/s||B4 48dot, thermal transfer, 33char/s|
(Note) The above specifications are from the time of announcement, and may have been changed due to later improvement.