Fujitsu brought together all its network-computing mid-range servers under the GRANPOWER brand.*1 Fujitsu’s PC servers were marketed as the GRANPOWER 5000 series. Fujitsu announced the GRANPOWER 5000/760 in October 1996 as the first server in the new series.
Features of the GRANPOWER 5000/760:
- （1）Advanced hardware technology
- The server was standard equipped with two Intel Pentium Pro (200 MHz) chips with a 512 KB secondary cache, two PCI*2 buses, and a Fast-Wide SCSI-2*3 interface with a maximum transfer speed of 200 MB/s, etc.
- （2）Greater reliability
- The server was standard equipped with a server monitor module (SMM), which carried out centralized monitoring of the server including status monitoring and fault reporting. It also supported disk array configurations.
- Main memory could be expanded from 64 MB to 1 GB. The main unit contained 12 hard disk bays and supported two extension cabinets (each with seven bays). Therefore, the disk capacity could be increased to 109 GB internally and to 236 GB in total, with external disks.
- *1.Fujitsu segmented the GRANPOWER brand as follows: GRANPOWER 5000: PC servers; GRANPOWER 6000: office computers; GRANPOWER 7000: UNIX servers.
*2. PCI: Peripheral component interconnect. A processor bus standard with higher bus speeds than the standard PC Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) bus.
*3. SCSI: Small computer system interface. A set of parallel interface standards for physically connecting and transferring data between computers and peripheral devices.
|Introduced||May 1997||October 1996|
|No. of CPUs||1||1-2||1-4||1-4||2-4|
|Max. main memory capacity||256MB||512MB||1GB||4GB||1GB|
|Max. disk capacity||17GB||34GB||54GB||81GB||109GB|
|OS||Microsoft WindowsNT Server，NetWare|
The specifications above were correct at the time the products were announced. Some specifications were later revised due to product upgrades.
The Fujitsu GRANPOWER 5000 series continued until the Fujitsu PRIMERGY series was introduced in May 2000. During this time, many additional specification enhancements and model variations were released.