NEC positioned ITOS-VX as an operating system that extended the functionality of ITOS-4(V). Fittingly, the “VX” designation stood for “versatile extended.” ITOS-VX was shipped as an operating system that maintained the consistency of programs from standalone office computers to large systems. On the hardware end as well, ITOS-VX could work on large systems because it included multiprocessor support for much higher performance levels. It shipped as the operating system on the NEC System 3100A series of office computers.
- Aladdin integrated office system
- In response to calls for products that could use databases and process images, voice, and other media formats, NEC offered Aladdin, an integrated office system that could process electronic filing, email, and a host of other office tasks in an integrated virtual office environment.
The main features of Aladdin were as follows:
- Office management functions (functions for defining and managing organizations, usage environments, and business processes)
- Office filing functions (management of document, table, and graphics files)
- Office electronic billing functions (for processing small-volume bills that were not automated through EDP)
- Office notification/guidance functions (functions for handling inquiries)
- Distributed office functions (for connecting multiple office processors)
- VIA office functions (for accessing information stored on office processors with Aladdin)