The FACOM 6453 was a cartridge tape library system, completed in 1986 and compatible with the Fujitsu FACOM 6475 cartridge tape unit.
Fujitsu developed the FACOM 6450 mass storage system (MSS) in 1980, and the FACOM 6460 cartridge library system (successor of the FACOM 6450) in 1984. The FACOM 6453 was based on the library system technology developed for those systems. Its basic component was the FACOM 6475 cartridge tape unit employing VHS cartridges, and it automated loading, removal and storage of the memory media. It had the following features:
- (1) Realization of high-speed, high-capacity backup processing
- The system had high-speed data transfer capability of 2.5Mbyte/s for high-speed back-up processing of large volumes of data -- up to a maximum of 668Gbyte (i.e. a maximum of 2,387 VHS-type cartridges, each having a memory capacity of 280Mbyte).
- (2) Laborsaving in system operation
- Handling of cartridge tapes was automated, and the burden of replacing and carrying memory media during operation was dramatically reduced, thereby achieving laborsaving in system operation.
- (3) Flexible system configuration
- Twenty-three types of subsystems could be configured, ranging from a minimum of 63Gbyte to a maximum of 668Gbyte. This enabled selection of memory capacity to suit the system size and required performance.
In April 1989, Fujitsu completed the F6655 magnetic tape library system. This system used cartridge tape media compatible with the IBM3480, and featured larger memory capacity, improved reliability due to duplication/multiplication of components, and improved operability (i.e. continuous loading/unloading of cartridge tapes, and a volume numbering feature realized by equipping the system with a reader for bar codes attached to the media).
Cartridge Tape Library System
Magnetic Tape Library System
|Completion date||1986||April 1989|
|Max. memory capacity||63-668 GB (*1)||134.8-1,056.1 GB (*1)|
|Max. storable number of cartridge tapes||227-2,387 (*1)||658-5,152 (*1)|
|Cartridge tape carrying time||5-17s(Average 10s)||Average 10s|
|Tape load/unload time||12s/7s||Average 11s each|
|Data transfer speed||Average 2.5MB/s||3.0MB/s|
|Constituent devices||Basic component||FACOM 6475
Cartridge tape unit
Magnetic tape unit
|Selection mechanisms (Accessors)||1,2||2|
|Types of constituent devices||23||26|
|Number of connected channels||16 channels max.
(Max. 4 channels per controller)
|24 channels max.
(Max. 6 channels per controller)
*1: The maximum values vary depending on the equipment configuration.