In October 1997 NEC began selling the Bungo JX-S700 and Bungo JX-S500 word processors that featured a V830 CPU for faster processing speeds and an internal 33.6 kbps modem for seamless Internet access.
- The JX-S700 and JX-S500 had the following features.
- （1）The pull-down menus were easier to read and easier to use because the user had only to select the appropriate menu and option to run a task.
- （2）The internal 33.6 kbps modem gave access to the Internet and other network communications.
- （3）Built-in speakers allowed users to browse Web sites with audio media. And because the word processors supported sites using Secure Socket Layer (SSL) Ver. 3, personal information such as purchase orders and credit card numbers could be automatically encrypted.
- （4）The word processors came with color images, color illustrations, sample postcard designs, and sample document layouts. A stylus pen enabled selections of images directly on the screen eliminating the need for conventional barcode booklets to choose and confirm illustrations.
- （5）Users could make or receive phone calls while using the word processor thanks to the built-in microphone and speakers. The pocket pager function converted katakana input to numbers for pocket pager messages.
|Introduced||October 1997||October 1997|
|Display device||Monitor||JX-S700: Backlit, color LCD monitor (DSTN)
JX-S500: Backlit, color LCD monitor (STN)
640 x 480 pixels, 158 x 211 mm (10.4-inch)
|Horizontal text||40 Japanese characters x 19 lines (20 x 16 dots, standard display)
80 Japanese characters x 38 lines (10 x 8 dots, condensed display)
20 Japanese characters x 9 lines (40 x 32 dots, expanded display)
|Vertical text||25 Japanese characters x 30 lines (20 x 16 dots, standard display)
50 Japanese characters x 60 lines (10 x 8 dots, condensed display)
12 Japanese characters x 15 lines (40 x 32 dots, expanded display)
|Entry devices||Keyboard||JIS standard layout (alphanumeric and kana)|
|Entry modes||JIS input, alphanumeric input, radical input, JIS code, numeric keypad input, symbol input, extended character input|
|Conversion methods||AI conversion, clause-level conversion (200 characters / 40 clauses), convert all (clause conversion), kana-kanji conversion, etc.|
~635,000 words ~130,000 words ~320,000 candidate words Storable (~3000 words: two-character word: three-character reading)
|Standard characters||1990 JIS standard characters|
|Extended characters||10 characters (basic)
104 characters (system extended characters)
59 types (number of sample characters)
Mincho, Gothic, Bold Maru Gothic, Mouhitsu, Kyokasho, Pop: 7,382 characters Edo characters: 3,791 characters (optional on the JX-S500)
|160-dot multi-line printer
225 characters/second (when line spacing set to 53 dots and character spacing set to 0)
Prepaid postcard to B4 widths
|Printing device||External dimensions [mm]
|382 x 398 x 97 (w x d x h)
43 W max., 17 W, standby
|382 x 398 x 97 (w x d x h)
42 W max., 15 W, standby