NEC released the Bungo Hyper 7, a compact business word processor with a depth of just 23.6 centimeters, in June 1991. The features of the Bungo Hyper 7 are as follows.
- (1) By using a backlit white LCD monitor, NEC reduced the word processor’s depth to only 23.6 centimeters with a footprint of just 937 cm2, making it more compact than CRT models. This allowed the word processor to fit on standard office desks.
- (2) Documents with diagrams and graphs were easily created and edited since it was standard equipped with graphing, spreadsheet, personal database, and other office software. It also featured multi-data editing, a feature that could directly call drawing functions while creating a document.
- (3) The Bungo Hyper 7 included several safety mechanisms, such as an auto-eject mechanism that automatically ejected uninitialized floppy disks or floppy disks in the wrong format, and an auto-lock mechanism that prevented a floppy disk from being ejected while being read.
- (4) The word processor could store up to 60 pages internally, which made it suitable for editing large documents.
- (5) In addition to the built-in printer (86 characters/second), the Hyper 7 could use and select from an external dot-matrix printer, a 240 dpi laser printer, and a 400 dpi laser printer.
- (6) The word processor came with a standard training system to teach beginners how to use the word processor and offered the optional Type Trainer program, which allowed users to practice typing and data entry toward obtaining word processing certifications.
|Display device||Monitor|| Backlit, white-mode LCD monitor
40 Japanese characters x 24 lines (four internal system lines)
80 Japanese characters x 48 lines (at condensed display size)
|Entry devices||Keyboard||JIS X6002 (c6233) standard keyboard with a numeric keypad|
|Entry modes||Kana / alphanumeric / fast alphanumeric|
|8,064 characters including standard JIS Level 1 and Level 2 characters
Able to store up to 188 characters on floppy disk
|~72,000 characters in document memory
Two 3.5-inch floppy drives (combined 2HD / 2DD drive)
One memory card slot
|128-dot multiline thermal transfer printer
Equivalent to 86 characters/second
Prepaid postcard to B4 widths
|Mincho, Gothic, Mouhitsu, Maru Gothic, Kyokasho:
7P (32 x 32), 10.5 P (48 x 48); 12P (54 x 54) Mincho outline font, Gothic outline font
|Other specifications||External dimensions [mm]
|397 x 236 x 275 (w x d x h)
100 ± 10% VAC
Standby: 30 W, Printing: 62 W