With the catch phase "Separate & Compact" -- which was the basic concept of the "Produce" word processor with detachable printer -- Sony announced (in February 1989) the PJ-1000 "Product 1000" Japanese language word processor with features such as spreadsheet calculation, graphing and communication capabilities.
- 1) Separate printer detachable from main unit
- If the printer was stood up for use, it could work with the horizontal printing system, which enabled printing without bending paper. Printing was done with a 48x48 dot head, and could be done on many paper types.
- 2) Large 45 character x 20 line display
- A slide open display unit enabled display of 45 characters x 20 lines.
- 3) Spreadsheet feature to enable function calculation
- Spreadsheets could be created up to a maximum of 512 lines x 128 columns (effective number of cells: approx. 8,000). Fifty-eight functions were provided.
- 4) Conversion of spreadsheet data to 8 types of graphs
- Data created with the spreadsheet feature could be converted to 8 types of graphs (bar, layer, line, pie chart, radar chart, band, pareto diagram, and scatter).
- 5) Western language word processing capabilities for handling 7 languages with key input only (or 15 languages with symbol input)
- Seven languages were supported: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Danish and Swedish.
|Keys||JIS layout, English (standard)|
|Input system||Kana-kanji 45 character continuous phrase batch conversion, romaji input possible|
|Character types||2,965 JIS level 1 characters, 3,388 JIS level 2 characters (Kanji),
670 Japanese letters, 186 letters (Western), 474 symbols
|Dictionary word count||Approx. 150,000word (Basic: 60,000word, Compound: 90,000word)|
|Display||720x400dot (45char x 20line, including 1 guidance line)|
|Memory||Document memory: Approx. 10,000char
Memo: Approx. 1,000char
Schedule: Approx. 150 items (saveable on disk)
User dictionary: Approx. 200word (saveable on disk)
External characters: 8char (saveable on disk)
|Disk||2inch data disk
Documents: Max. 60, Max. 170 A4 pages (1,000char/page)
|Fonts||Japanese: Minchotai, Poem, Yukinari (Hiragana and katakana only for Poem and Yukinari)
Western: Roman, Typewriter, European bold, European regular, Script
|Character styles||Underline, bold, italic, shading|
|Line styles||Enlarged (1-16 times, smoothing), inversion, outline, shadowed|
|Power supply||NP-22H rechargeable battery pack, charging adapter|
|Max. external dimensions||Main unit only: 348x71x228mm (excluding protruding parts)
With printer attached: 348x75x348mm (width, height, depth)