In September 1987, Sony announced the PJ-100 "Produce 100" Japanese language word processor, with separating printer and built-in "PD-1" 2-inch data disk drive, as an ultra-small multi-functional portable word processor.
- 1) Built-in 2-inch data disk drive
- The unit had a built-in compact, high-capacity 2-inch data disk drive. Capacity was as good or better than 3.5-inch.
- 2) Detachable printer
- The unit was compact and lightweight. The main unit weighed 2.3kg with the printer separated, and the disk was built-in.
- 3) Printing system
- The unit provided 32x32 dot 30character/second high-speed thermal transfer printing. It was also equipped with a smoothing function for smooth and automatic correction when enlarged to double size or larger.
- 4) Compatible with rough paper and thick paper
- Printer ribbon development made it possible to print on papers with a rough surface, or glossy paper. If the printer was stood up, it could be used for horizontal printing. Printing could be done on thick paper up to 1mm, and on materials like plastic sheet without bending.
- 5) Position scope
- This function used a prism to let the user print exactly at the desired position, and line spacing width could also be automatically calculated with auto pitch so printing could be done easily on cassette labels and Japanese manuscript paper.
- 6) Pop-up menu
- This provided support for many functions with a small number of keys.
|Keys||JIS layout, English (standard)|
|Input system||Kana-kanji 40 character batch conversion, romaji input possible|
|Character types||2,965 JIS level 1 characters, 3,388 JIS level 2 characters (Kanji), 670 Japanese letters, 179 letters (Western), 474 symbols|
|Dictionary word count||Approx. 150,000word (Basic: 57,000word, Compound: 93,000word)|
|Display||40char x 10line (including 1 guidance line)|
|Display system||STN liquid crystal|
|Memory||1 document 1 memory: Approx. 4,500char
Memo: Approx. 900char
User dictionary, abbreviations: 200word
External characters: 8char
|Disk||User documents: 47 files max|
|Printing||Vertical/Horizontal, line spacing, character spacing (4 settings, auto pitch), postcard printing|
|Print speed||30char/s, 15char/s|
|Paper||40x40mm - A4 size|
|Printed characters per line||Japanese: 50char, English: 77char|
|Print system||Thermal transfer (32x32dot)|
|Fonts||Japanese: Mincho, Yukinari, Poem (hiragana, katakana)
Western: Typewriter, Script, European Regular, European Bold, Mincho
|Character styles||Underline, bold, italic, shading|
|LIne styles||Enlarged (1-16 times, smoothing), inversion, outline, shadowed|
|Character size||Full-size, half-size, double-size, superscript, subscr|