Oki Electric Industry announced the carry-type "Lettermate8" Japanese language word processor on May 17, 1984.
- (1) Easy-to-carry "carry type"
- When the keyboard was closed, the system was very compact. It could be carried anywhere and easily stored.
- (2) All-in-one type
- This machine was the ultra-small all-in-one type, incorporating a main unit, display, printer, floppy disk drive and keyboard, so no connection between them was necessary.
- (3) Kana and romaji input systems and kanji conversion in phrase units.
- There were two input systems: kana/kanji automatic conversion and romaji/kanji automatic conversion, and conversion in phrase units could be done with both conversions.
- (4) Sophisticated editing capabilities
- Support was provided for sophisticated editing capabilities, such as a line apportioning function and text inset function.
- (5) Equipped with thermosensitive transfer printer
- Noiseless printing, and high-speed printing (30 characters/second) was achieved.
- (6) Revolutionary HELP function
- (7) Document file compatibility
- The system had file compatibility with the higher-end Lettermate85.
|Input||Input system||Kana/Kanji automatic conversion system and romaji/kanji automatic conversion system|
|Dictionary||Basic dictionary: Approx. 30,000words, User dictionary: Approx. 3,000words|
|Number of usable characters||3,418chars, External char.: 120chars
JIS level 2 characters were provided as pattern files, and could be used as external characters
|Display||Display||Liquid crystal, 40chars x 2lines (vertical/horizontal scrolling capable)|
|Display pattern||16x15 dot-matrix, capable of layout display|
|Output||Print mechanism||Thermal transfer|
|Print speed||Approx. 30chars/s|
|Character size||3.5x3.5mm, and double-size|
|Character pattern||24x24 dot matrix|
|Max. number of characters per line||59|
|Paper||B5, A4, 10-inch wide continuous paper|
|FDD||5inch double-sided double-density floppy disk drive x1
Capacity of approx. 30 documents/floppy
|Editing/Correction functions||Subscripts, framing, line and justification, centering, apportioning, underline, tab, column justification, line pitch variation, character spacing setting, half-return, delete, insert, correct, move, copy, search, table generation, text inset, line start/end rules|
|Other functions||Document name list display/printing, external character creation, use vocabulary registration|
|Standards and size||Power supply, Power consumption||AC100V 50/60Hz, approx. 50W|