This was a cut paper laser printer from Fujitsu, which achieved high-quality printing by writing with a semiconductor laser. It was completed in 1982.
With the dissemination of computer-based OA (Office Automation) processing, various new features were provided by display subsystems for data input/output, including Japanese characters input/output, business graph processing and document creation. The FACOM 6657A was developed as a high-speed printer for the display subsystem of the FACOM M Series of general-purpose computers. This printer was called an office printer, and it had the following features:
- 1) It enabled printing of high-quality characters by writing with a semiconductor laser beam (resolution 240 dots per inch, kanji (Chinese character) font 30×30dot).
- 2) It was equipped with an extensive range of functions including graph output, form overlay and various character sizes.
- 3) Greater compactness and reduced noise enabled set-up in an ordinary office.
- 4) In addition to output from a host computer, the printer could also print from a display unit connected to a display controller without the mediation of the host computer.
- 5) Handling was easy.
- Paper could be easily replaced and supplied using a 2-level cassette paper feeding method. The paper which was output using a face-down stack mechanism (optional) could be filed as it was.
In 1985, Fujitsu developed the FACOM 6677A1/A2 with improved character expressiveness (gothic font, double-size characters, tall characters, short characters, and compatibility (Note) with line printers for Japanese language processing). And in 1987 Fujitsu developed the FACOM 6677B1/B2 which reduced noise and added a bar code printing function.
(Note) Only FACOM 6677A2 in FACOM66xx series
|FACOM 6657A||FACOM 6677A1/A2||FACOM 6677B1/B2|
|Completion date||1982||November 1985||April 1987|
|Printing system||Laser-based xerography|
|Printing type||3 mode(*1)||A1: 3 mode(*1)||B1: 3 mode(*1)|
|A2: 4 mode(*2)||B2: 4 mode(*2)|
|Printing speed (A4)||Max. 20 sheet/min||A1: Max. 20 sheet/min||B1: Max. 20 sheet/min|
|A2: Max. 16 sheet/min||B2: Max. 16 sheet/min|
|Resolution||240 dot/inch||A1: 240 dot/inch||B1: 240 dot/inch|
|A2: 300 dot/inch (condensed printing)||B2: 300 dot/inch (condensed printing)|
|Printing options||Formatted printing function (software overlay),Graph printing function,Image printing function|
|Paper||Paper size||B4, A4, B5, A5, Letter size||B4, A4, B5, A5, Letter size,Postcard|
|Paper feed||2-level cassette paper feed system
|Cassette paper feed system (250 sheet),Hopper (1000 sheet), not compatible with postcard size|
|Hand feed||-||B4, A4, B5, A5, Letter size,Postcard|
|Post-handling||Face-down stack mechanism (Optional)||Inversion stacker (Optional)|
|Main connected models||FACOM M Series|
*1:3 modes—portrait, landscape and LP
*2:4 modes—portrait, landscape, LP and condensed