The H-8487-A10 was a medium-speed open reel magnetic tape unit which kept the same performance as previous equipment, while greatly reducing size and weight (1/3 of the previous values), conserving energy (1/2 of the previous usage) and eliminating space used by the controller. This was achieved by miniaturizing the running system, using general-purpose processors in the magnetic tape unit (drive) and developing special-purpose LSI. The unit was first shipped in October 1980.
Notable features of this unit were:
- 1) Greater compactness and lighter weight
- The system was smaller and lighter than previous systems, with 25% less floor area, 20% lower height and 65% lower weight.
- 2) Greater energy conservation
- Power consumption of the unit was examined in detail, and dramatically reduced (40–50%) compared to previous models. This was done by selecting optimal systems and parts.
- 3) High-reliability
- Special-purpose LSI improved reliability, and better maintainability was achieved by improving diagnostic functions.
In addition to the H-8487-A10, Hitachi also developed the H-8486-A10 and H-8467-A10 as units in the same family.
|Magnetic tape used||Width 1/2inch,Length 2400feet|
|Number of tracks||9|
|Tape speed (inch/s)||125||80||125|
|Data transfer speed (KB/s)||780/200||500/128||200/100|
|Tape drive system||Single capstan,vacuum column system|
|Rewind time (s)||80||45||110||80|
|Power consumption (KVA)||1.5||2.8||1.5||1.5|
*1: Includes controller