This was an 8-inch hard disk unit commercialized by Mitsubishi Electric in 1985. It was equipped with a thin-film head, and thereby achieved high recording density and a high memory capacity of 408MB.
The features of this unit were as follows:
- 14,100BPI was achieved by combining a thin-film head with a coated disk, and using a 2-7 RLLC (Run Length Limited Coding) modulation system.
- An easy-to-use interface was provided by adding diagnostic functions to the mainstream SMD interface.
- It enabled high-speed data transfer at 1.81Mbyte/s.
- The units were compact, and two units could be mounted side-by-side in a 19-inch rack.
- High-reliability design enabling maintenance-free and inspection-free operation for 5 years or 20,000 hours, whichever came sooner.
|Unit memory capacity||408.5MB|
|Number of disks||8|
|Number of memory capable sides||13|
|Number of cylinders||1,023 + 1CE|
|Recording system||2-7 RLLC|
|Data transfer speed||14.52Mbit/s(1.815Mbyte/s)|
|Positioning time||Min. 4ms,Max. 37ms,Average 20ms|
|Rotational delay||Average 8.47ms|
|External dimensions(Width x Height x Depth)||216mm×259mm×650mm|